A noted scenic landscape painter of the Baltimore, Maryland area, W.R.C. Wood – as he signed his name – was born in Washington, D. C. He was a pupil of Samuel E. Whiteman (1860 – 1922), an earlier Baltimore artist.
William Wood regularly spent summers on Prudence Island in Narragansett Bay off Rhode Island. He also was an avid supporter of the arts locally, being a member of numerous organizations: the Charcoal Club, begun in 1885, who held monthly meetings and also maintained an art school; the Baltimore Water Color Club, begun in 1892, of which he was also President for a time; and the Municipal Art Society of Baltimore, begun in 1899, that was “founded by a group of private citizens who desired to improve the public environment of the city.”
The artist also exhibited with the Baltimore Art Club in 1905 thru 1907.
He died at his home of many years – 2034 Park Avenue – in Baltimore.
Written and submitted by Edward Bentley, Art Collector and Researcher from Lansing, Michigan
Primary source of information: “Who’s Who in Art”, 1917 edition.