“A painter is first a painter; after that he is a propagandist, an apologist, a compulsive neurotic, has or has not a social conscience, but of those or other things he is guilty only ‘after the fact’… the fact that first he is a painter…”
From this premise, David Anderson painted, reflecting on particular experiences rather than creating new ones for the viewer. A native Pennsylvanian (Charleroi, PA), born November 26, 1926, the 30-year resident of the St. Petersburg-Tampa Bay area began his interest in the arts with theater and turned to painting as a more satisfactory means of communication. Early training and interests in theater contributed heavily to the dramatic quality in his work, as well as studies and training with Christopher Clark, internationally known portraitist.
His paintings had appeared in “Artists U.S.A.” for several years and were shown with the Art in Embassies program under the aegis of the U.S. Department of State.
He was commissioned by the Huegenot Society to execute a muralistic oil, commemorating the landing of Jean Ribeau and the Huegenots in Florida. The painting was reproduced in the national Methodist magazine Today, and was presented to the Governor as a gift to the State of Florida.
In the annual competition of the Society of Fine Arts, Beaux Arts Gallery, Anderson was the grand prize winner for many consecutive years. Also, he was selected by the editors of Who’s Who in American Art for inclusion in 1973 and 1975.
He was elected as a Fellow in the Royal Society of Arts, in London, England, in 1974.
He was the co-owner of the Anderson-Marsh Galleries, in St. Petersburg, Florida.